Pulmonary inflammatory response is crucial in mediating the development of ventilator-induced lung injury (VILI) in animals experiencing endotoxemia. Dexmedetomidine and ketamine are two sedative agents with potent anti-inflammatory capacity. We sought to elucidate the anti-inflammatory effects of dexmedetomidine-ketamine combination against VILI in endotoxemia rats.
Materials and Methods
Eighty-four adult male rats were allocated to receive normal saline, VILI, VILI plus dexmedetomidine-ketamine combination (D+K), lipopolysaccharide (LPS), LPS plus D+K, LPS plus VILI, or LPS plus VILI plus D+K (designated as the NS, V, V-D+K, LPS, LPS-D+K, LPS/V, and LPS/V-D+K group, respectively; n = 12 in each group). VILI was induced by high-tidal volume ventilation (tidal volume 20 mL/kg; respiratory rate 50 breath/min; FiO2 21%). After being mechanically ventilated for 4 h, rats were sacrificed and the levels of pulmonary inflammatory response were evaluated.
Histologic findings revealed severe, moderate, and mild inflammation in lung tissues of the LPS/V, LPS, and V groups, respectively, whereas those of the LPS/V-D+K, LPS-D+K, and V-D+K groups revealed moderate, mild, and normal to minimal inflammation, respectively. Moreover, the total cell number and the concentrations of macrophage inflammatory protein-2 and interleukin-1β in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid as well as the lung water content, leukocyte infiltration, myeloperoxidase activity, and the concentrations of inducible nitric oxide synthase/nitric oxide, and cyclooxygenase 2/prostaglandin E2 in lung tissues of the LPS/V, LPS, and V groups were significantly higher than those of the LPS/V-D+K, LPS-D+K, and V-D+K groups, respectively.
Dexmedetomidine-ketamine combination could mitigate pulmonary inflammatory response induced by VILI in endotoxemia rats.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Surgical Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mechanical ventilation in the management of acute respiratory distress syndrome.Semin Dial. 2006; 19: 517
- Ventilator-induced lung injury.Eur Respir J Suppl. 2003; 42: 2s
- Pathogenetic significance of biological markers of ventilator-associated lung injury in experimental and clinical studies.Chest. 2006; 130: 1906
- Ventilator-induced lung injury is associated with neutrophil infiltration, macrophage activation, and TGF-β1 mRNA up-regulation in rat lungs.Anesth Analg. 2001; 92: 428
- Reduced activation of immunomodulatory transcription factors during positive end-expiratory pressure adjustment based on volume-dependent compliance in isolated perfused rabbit lungs.Br J Anaesth. 2005; 94: 530
- Dexmedetomidine.Curr Opin Crit Care. 2001; 7: 221
- Ketamine: New indications for an old drug.Curr Drug Targets. 2005; 6: 789
- Dexmedetomidine-ketamine and propofol-ketamine combinations for anesthesia in spontaneously breathing pediatric patients undergoing cardiac catheterization.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2006; 20: 515
- Effects of dexmedetomidine on mortality rate and inflammatory responses to endotoxin-induced shock in rats.Crit Care Med. 2004; 32: 1322
- Ketamine attenuates liver injury attributed to endotoxemia: Role of cyclooxygenase-2.Surgery. 2005; 138: 34
- Dexmedetomidine-ketamine combination mitigates acute lung injury in hemorrhagic shock rats.Resuscitation. 2009; 80: 1204
- Time and tidal volume-dependent ventilator-induced lung injury in healthy rats.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2005; 22: 785
- Hyperbaric oxygen attenuation of lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury involves heme oxygenase-1.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2005; 49: 1293
- Alterations in nitric oxide production in various forms of circulatory shock.New Horiz. 1995; 3: 2
- Enhanced expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and prostaglandin E2 in response to endotoxin after trauma is dependent on MAPK and NF-κB mechanisms.Cell Immunol. 2004; 232: 116
- The role of nuclear factor-κB in cytokine gene regulation.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1997; 17: 3
- Involvement of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in lipopolysaccharide-induced iNOS and COX-2 expression in J774 macrophages.Immunology. 1999; 97: 124
- Effect of mitogen-activated protein kinases on chemokine synthesis induced by substance P in mouse pancreatic acinar cells.J Cell Mol Med. 2007; 11: 1326
- Activations of mitogen-activated protein kinase and nuclear factor-κB by mechanical stretch result in ventilation-induced lung injury.Med Hypotheses. 2007; 68: 356
- Effect of ketamine on NF-κB activity and TNF-α production in endotoxin-treated rats.Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2004; 34: 181
- Inhibitory effects of ketamine on lipopolysaccharide-induced microglial activation.Mediators Inflamm. 2009; 2009: 705379
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia: The role of ventilator management strategies.Respir Care. 2005; 50: 766
- Lower tidal volume ventilation and plasma cytokine markers of inflammation in patients with acute lung injury.Crit Care Med. 2005; 33: 1
- Lung protective ventilation strategy for the acute respiratory distress syndrome.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; : CD003844
- The effects of increasing plasma concentrations of dexmedetomidine in humans.Anesthesiology. 2000; 93: 382
- Effects of dexmedetomidine on regulating endotoxin-induced up-regulation of inflammatory molecules in murine macrophages.J Surg Res. 2009; 154: 212
- Effects of ketamine on pulmonary inflammatory responses and survival in rats exposed to polymicrobial sepsis.J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2007; 10: 434
- The reduction of tumor necrosis factor-alpha release and tissue damage by pentobarbital in the experimental endotoxemia model.Shock. 2007; 28: 309
- Ketamine anaesthesia in patients with intracranial pathology.Br J Anaesth. 1972; 44: 1200
- Safety of sedation with ketamine in severe head injury patients: Comparison with sufentanil.Crit Care Med. 2003; 31: 711
Published online: March 15, 2010
Received: January 6, 2010
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.