Lower limb ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) imposes oxidative stress, elicits inflammatory response, and subsequently induces acute lung injury. Ischemic preconditioning (IP), a process of transient I/R, mitigates the acute lung injury induced by I/R. We sought to elucidate whether the protective effects of IP involve heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1).
Adult male rats were randomized to receive I/R, I/R plus IP, I/R plus IP plus the HO-1 inhibitor tin protoporphyrin (SnPP) (n = 12 in each group). Control groups were run simultaneously. I/R was induced by applying rubber band tourniquet high around each thigh for 3 h followed by reperfusion for 3 h. To achieve IP, three cycles of bilateral lower limb I/R (i.e., ischemia for 10 min followed by reperfusion for 10 min) were performed. IP was performed immediately before I/R. After sacrifice, degree of lung injury was determined.
Histologic findings, together with assays of leukocyte infiltration (polymorphonuclear leukocytes/alveoli ratio and myeloperoxidase activity) and lung water content (wet/dry weight ratio), confirmed that I/R induced acute lung injury. I/R also caused significant inflammatory response (increases in chemokine, cytokine, and prostaglandin E2 concentrations), imposed significant oxidative stress (increases in nitric oxide and malondialdehyde concentrations), and up-regulated HO-1 expression in lung tissues. IP significantly enhanced HO-1 up-regulation and, in turn, mitigated oxidative stress, inflammatory response, and acute lung injury induced by I/R. In addition, the protective effects of IP were counteracted by SnPP.
The protective effects of IP on mitigating acute lung injury induced by lower limb I/R are mediated by HO-1.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Surgical Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical management of severe acute lower extremity ischemia.J Vasc Surg. 1992; 15: 385
- Blunt popliteal artery injury with complete lower limb ischemia: Is routine use of temporary intraluminal arterial shunt justified?.J Vasc Surg. 2004; 40: 61
- The mortality of abdominal aortic aneurysm.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1986; 68: 275
- Lower limb ischemia-reperfusion injury triggers a systemic inflammatory response and multiple organ dysfunction.World J Surg. 2002; 26: 115
- Pro-oxidant and cytotoxic effects of circulating heme.Blood. 2002; 100: 879
- Oxidative stress and cardiovascular risk: The role of vascular NAD(P)H oxidase and its genetic variants.Eur J Clin Invest. 2005; 35: 305
- Heme oxygenase-1: The “emerging molecule” has arrived.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2002; 27: 8
- Products of heme oxygenase and their potential therapeutic applications.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006; 290: F563
- Super-induction of HO-1 in macrophages stimulated with lipopolysaccharide by prior depletion of glutathione decreases iNOS expression and NO production.Nitric Oxide. 2005; 12: 70
- The protective role of heme oxygenase-1 induction on testicular tissues after testicular torsion and detorsion.J Urol. 2007; 177: 1928
- Protective effect of hemoglobin-induced heme oxygenase-1 on injured lungs caused by limb ischemia-reperfusion in rats.Chin J Traumatol. 2002; 5: 86
- Remote ischemic preconditioning: A novel protective method from ischemia reperfusion injury–a review.J Surg Res. 2008; 150: 304
- Transient limb ischemia induces remote preconditioning in liver among rats: The protective role of heme oxygenase-1.Transplantation. 2006; 81: 1311
- Ischemic preconditioning attenuates the lipid peroxidation and remote lung injury in the rat model of unilateral lower limb ischemia reperfusion.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2006; 50: 150
- Dexmedetomidine-ketamine combination mitigates acute lung injury in hemorrhagic shock rats.Resuscitation. 2009; 80: 1204
- Enhanced expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and prostaglandin E2 in response to endotoxin after trauma is dependent on MAPK and NF-κB mechanisms.Cell Immunol. 2004; 232: 116
- Induction of heme-oxygenase-1 prevents the systemic responses to hemorrhagic shock.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001; 164: 1933
- Lidocaine inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase and cationic amino Acid transporter-2 transcription in activated murine macrophages may involve voltage-sensitive Na+ channel.Anesth Analg. 2006; 102: 1739
- Selective inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 by NS-398 in endotoxin shock rats in vivo.Inflamm Res. 1997; 46: 496
- HO-1 Mediates the effects of HBO pretreatment against sepsis.J Surg Res. 2006; 136: 143
- Nrf2, a Cap'n'Collar transcription factor, regulates induction of the heme oxygenase-1 gene.J Biol Chem. 1999; 274: 26071
- Reoxygenation-specific activation of the antioxidant transcription factor Nrf2 mediates cytoprotective gene expression in ischemia-reperfusion injury.FASEB J. 2006; 20: 2624
- Heme oxygenase 1, nuclear factor E2-related factor 2, and nuclear factor κB are involved in hemin inhibition of type 2 cationic amino acid transporter expression and L-arginine transport in stimulated macrophages.Anesthesiology. 2006; 105: 1201
- The role of nuclear factor-κB in cytokine gene regulation.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1997; 17: 3
- Nuclear factor κB: An oxidative stress-responsive transcription factor of eukaryotic cells (a review).Free Radic Res Commun. 1992; 17: 221
- Signal transduction through nuclear factor κB in ischemia-reperfusion and heart failure.Basic Res Cardiol. 2004; 99: 1
- NF-κB, Nrf2, and HO-1 interplay in redox-regulated VCAM-1 expression.Antioxid Redox Signal. 2005; 7: 889
Published online: July 02, 2010
Received: May 14, 2010
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.