The present study investigated the effect of controlled hypotension (CH) levels regulated by nitroprusside on hippocampal CA1 neurons.
Materials and methods
All experimental rabbits were randomly divided into five groups to perform CH for recording their vital signs and survived for a certain time. The arterial blood was collected to measure the serum levels of interleukin 6 and tumor necrosis factor α and then the brain tissues were perfused and sectioned to carry out hematoxylin–eosin staining, TdT-mediated dUTP nick end labeling fluorescence, c-fos immunohistochemistry, and ultrastructural observation of hippocampal neuronal mitochondria. All data were analyzed with SPSS13.0 software, and P < 0.05 was indicated as statistically significant.
Heart rate, mean arterial pressure, and the dosage of sodium nitroprusside were not statistically significant between groups, but at T2, heart rate levels in groups II–IV were lower than those in groups I and V. Simultaneously, interleukin 6 was remarkably overexpressed in group II than in other groups at T2, whereas tumor necrosis factor α was higher in groups I–III than in groups IV and V. At the light and electronic microscopic levels, the CA1 regional neurons of group IV were more seriously damaged and deranged compared with other groups so was the expression of c-fos. However, fluorescence from TdT-mediated dUTP nick end labeling assay was more intensive in groups II–IV than that in other groups. Results further showed that Flameng scores of mitochondria were the highest in group IV, but they were not statistically significant among the other groups.
The different levels of CH remarkably affected the functional activities of hippocampal CA1 neurons; with the decrease of mean arterial pressure, neuronal apoptosis, and c-fos expression was gradually increased and reached the peak in 45% of basic values of blood pressure.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Surgical Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The control of bleeding during operation by induced hypotension.J Am Med Assoc. 1946; 132: 572
- Perioperative stroke in the brain and spinal cord following an induced hypotension.Yonsei Med J. 2003; 44: 143
- Randomized trial of hypotensive epidural anesthesia in older adults.Anesthesiology. 1999; 91: 926
- Prevention of secondary ischemic insults after severe head injury.Crit Care Med. 1999; 27: 2086
- Human middle cerebral artery flow velocity during controlled hypotension combined with hemodilution-transcranial Doppler study.J Clin Anesth. 2005; 17: 177
- Cerebral oxygenation monitoring using near infrared spectroscopy during controlled hypotension.Paediatr Anaesth. 2005; 15: 504
- Effect of hypotensive anesthesia on cognitive functions. A comparison of esmolol and remifentanil during tympanoplasty.Saudi Med J. 2007; 28: 1357
- Hypotensive anesthesia and recovery of cognitive function in long-term craniofacial surgery.J Craniofac Surg. 2005; 16: 531
- Old method, new drugs: comparison of the efficacy of sevoflurane, isoflurane, and desflurane in achieving controlled hypotension in spinal surgery.Adv Ther. 2005; 22: 234
- Mitochondrial control of neuron death and its role in neurodegenerative disorders.J Physiol Biochem. 2003; 59: 129
- Cerebral hypoxia-ischemia stimulates cytokine gene expression in perinatal rats.Stroke. 1995; 26: 1093
- Induction of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in the mouse hippocampus following transient forebrain ischemia.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 1997; 17: 491
- Interleukin-1 beta and tumor necrosis factor-alpha synergistically stimulate nerve growth factor (NGF) release from cultured rat astrocytes.Neurosci Lett. 1990; 117: 335
- Involvement of inflammatory cytokines in central nervous system injury.Prog Neurobiol. 2002; 67: 161
- Biochemical changes and inflammatory response as markers for brain ischaemia: molecular markers of diagnostic utility and prognosis in human clinical practice.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2004; 17: 7
- Experimental stroke induces massive, rapid activation of the peripheral immune system.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2006; 26: 654
- Acupuncture suppresses ischemia-induced increase in c-Fos expression and apoptosis in the hippocampal CA1 region in gerbils.Neurosci Lett. 2003; 347: 5
- Pharmacological evidence for a correlation between hippocampal CA1 cell damage and hyperlocomotion following global cerebral ischemia in gerbils.Eur J Pharmacol. 2003; 467: 103
- c-fos regulates neuronal excitability and survival.Nat Genet. 2002; 30: 416
- Depolarization thresholds for hippocampal damage, ischemic preconditioning, and changes in gene expression after global ischemia in the rat.Neurosci Lett. 2004; 372: 12
- The Janus role of c-Jun: cell death versus survival and regeneration of neonatal sympathetic and sensory neurons.Exp Neurol. 2005; 196: 184
- Molecular characterization of a new intergenotype Norovirus GII recombinant.Virus Genes. 2011;
- The central and peripheral circulation during and after sodium nitroprusside induced hypotension in the rat.Br J Anaesth. 1984; 56: 1029
- Cardiovascular changes during sodium nitroprusside or adenosine triphosphate infusion in the rat.Anesth Analg. 1982; 61: 99
- The renin-angiotensin system during controlled hypotension with sodium nitroprusside.Anesthesiology. 1977; 47: 257
- Esmolol for potentiation of nitroprusside-induced hypotension: impact on the cardiovascular, adrenergic, and renin-angiotensin systems in man.Anesth Analg. 1989; 69: 202
- Cerebral blood flow during low-flow hypothermic cardiopulmonary bypass in baboons.Anesthesiology. 1994; 81: 959
- Cerebral blood flow distribution during induced hypotension with haemorrhage, trimetaphan or nitroprusside in rats.Br J Anaesth. 1995; 74: 686
- Rapid autoregulation of cerebral blood flow: a laser-Doppler flowmetry study.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 1992; 12: 674
- Differential cardiopulmonary recruitment of neutrophils during hemorrhagic shock: a role for ICAM-1?.Shock. 2001; 16: 444
- Neutrophils as early immunologic effectors in hemorrhage- or endotoxemia-induced acute lung injury.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2000; 279: L1137
- Expression of IL-6 in the ischemic penumbra.Neuroreport. 2000; 11: 963
- Cerebral interleukin-6 is neuroprotective during permanent focal cerebral ischemia in the rat.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 1998; 18: 176
- Profound arterial hypotension in dogs: brain electrical activity and organ integrity.Anesthesiology. 1983; 58: 61
- Prolonged expression of c-Fos and c-Jun in the cerebral cortex of rats after deltamethrin treatment.Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2003; 110: 147
- Early c-Fos induction after cerebral ischemia: a possible neuroprotective role.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2001; 21: 550
Published online: September 25, 2012
Accepted: September 4, 2012
Received in revised form: August 30, 2012
Received: April 16, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.