Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Costs of occupational injury and illness within the health services sector.Int J Health Serv. 2005; 35: 343
- Economic burden of occupational injury and illness in the United States.Milbank Q. 2011; 89: 728
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational safety and health definitions. http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshdef.htm. Accessed 11/28/2012.
- Work-related injury among direct care occupations in British Columbia, Canada.Occup Environ Med. 2007; 64: 769
- Pain-related work interference is a key factor in a worker/workplace model of work absence duration due to musculoskeletal conditions in Canadian nurses.J Occup Rehabil. 2013;
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Number and incidence rates of nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses by occupation, 2009. The Editor's Desk http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2011/ted_20110713.htm. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Work-related musculoskeletal symptoms in surgeons.J Occup Rehabil. 2009; 19: 175
- Occupational injury in plastic surgeons.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010; 125: 1555
- The pain of surgery: pain experienced by surgeons while operating.Int J Surg. 2010; 8: 118
- A survey study of occupational pain and injury in ophthalmic plastic surgeons.Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. Jan-Feb 2011; 27: 28
- The nature of work-related neck and upper limb musculoskeletal disorders.Appl Ergon. 2002; 33: 207
- Lumbar erector spinae oxygenation during prolonged contractions: implications for prolonged work.Ergonomics. 2000; 43: 486
- Patients benefit while surgeons suffer: an impending epidemic.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 210: 306
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy poses physical injury risk to surgeons: analysis of hand technique and standing position.Surg Endosc. 2011; 25: 2168
- Population analysis predicts a future critical shortage of general surgeons.Surgery. 2008; 144 (discussion 554–546): 548
- Return to work stakeholders' perspectives on work disability.in: Loisel P. Anema J.R. Handbook of work disability. Springer New York, 2013: 409-423
- Worker satisfaction with a workplace injury prevention and return-to-work program in a large Canadian hospital: the importance of an integrated approach.Work. 2007; 28: 175
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377
- Occupational injury among orthopaedic surgeons.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: e107
Dillman DA. Mail and Internet surveys: the tailored design method. 2nd ed. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley; 2007.
Merritt Hawkins AMN Healthcare Company. 2010 physician inpatient/outpatient revenue survey.
- Surgeon contribution to hospital bottom line: not all are created equal.Ann Surg. 2005; 242 (discussion 537–539): 530
- The prevalence of short sleep duration by industry and occupation in the National Health Interview Survey.Sleep. 2010; 33: 149
- Avoiding burnout: the personal health habits and wellness practices of US surgeons.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 625
- Sleep problems and work injuries: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sleep Med Rev. 2014; 18: 61
- Reporting occupational injuries: the first step.J Saf Res. 1996; 27 (Winter 1996): 217
Occupational Safety & Health Administration. Employer Responsibilities. http://www.osha.gov/workers.html#6. Accessed 7/11/13.
- Under-reporting of work-related musculoskeletal disorders in the Veterans Administration.Int J Health Care Qual Assur Inc Leadersh Health Serv. 2006; 19: 463
- Physician health programmes and malpractice claims: reducing risk through monitoring.Occup Med (Lond). 2013; 63: 274
- Ergonomics principles associated with laparoscopic surgeon injury/illness.Hum Factors. 2012; 54: 1087
- A systematic review of disability management interventions with economic evaluations.J Occup Rehabil. 2008; 18: 16
This work was presented as a poster presentation at the 2013 American College of Surgeons Annual Clinical Congress in Washington, DC, October 6–10.