Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Surgical Research
Readmissions Reduction Program. http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/Readmissions-Reduction-Program.html. Accessed June 5, 2014.
Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Report to Congress: promoting greater efficiency in Medicare. http://www.medpac.gov/documents/jun07_entirereport.pdf. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Underlying reasons associated with hospital readmission following surgery in the United States.Jama. 2015; 313: 483-495
- The medicare hospital readmissions reduction program: potential unintended consequences for hospitals serving vulnerable populations.Health Serv Res. 2014; 49: 818-837
- Variation in surgical-readmission rates and quality of hospital care.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1134-1142
- Variation in hospital mortality associated with inpatient surgery.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1368-1375
- Differences between early and late readmissions among patients: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 741-749
Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). Overview of the State Inpatient Databases. http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/sidoverview.jsp. Accessed October 16, 2014.
- Exploring the burden of inpatient readmissions after major cancer surgery.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 455-464
- Hospitalization trends after prostate and bladder surgery: implications of potential payment reforms.J Urol. 2013; 189: 59-65
- Use, costs and comparative effectiveness of robotic assisted, laparoscopic and open urological surgery.J Urol. 2012; 187: 1392-1399
- Trends in the national outcomes and costs for claudication and limb threatening ischemia: angioplasty vs bypass graft.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 54: 1021-1031.e1021
- Disparities in surgical 30-day readmission rates for Medicare beneficiaries by race and site of care.Ann Surg. 2014; 259: 1086-1090
- Medicare's hospital readmission reduction program in surgery may disproportionately affect minority-serving hospitals.Ann Surg. 2015; 261: 1027-1031
- Adapting a clinical comorbidity index for use with ICD-9-CM administrative databases.J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45: 613-619
- Time-to-readmission and mortality after high-risk surgery.Ann Surg. 2015; 262: 53-59
- Sharpening the focus on causes and timing of readmission after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer.Cancer. 2014; 120: 1409-1416
- Predictors of hospital discharge to an extended care facility after major general thoracic surgery.Am surgeon. 2014; 80: 284-289
- Complications and failure to rescue after laparoscopic versus open radical nephrectomy.J Urol. 2011; 186: 1254-1260
- Hospital characteristics associated with failure to rescue from complications after pancreatectomy.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 211: 325-330
- Hospital volume and failure to rescue with high-risk surgery.Med Care. 2011; 49: 1076-1081
- Complications, failure to rescue, and mortality with major inpatient surgery in medicare patients.Ann Surg. 2009; 250: 1029-1034
- Understanding failure to rescue and improving safety culture.Ann Surg. 2015; 261: 839-840
- Escalation of care in surgery: a systematic risk assessment to prevent avoidable harm in hospitalized patients.Ann Surg. 2015; 261: 831-838
- The association between hospital care intensity and surgical outcomes in medicare patients.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 1254-1259
- Early primary care provider follow-up and readmission after high-risk surgery.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 821-828
- Health policy update: rethinking hospital readmission as a surgical quality measure.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 757-758
- Early and late perioperative outcomes following radical cystectomy: 90-day readmissions, morbidity and mortality in a contemporary series.J Urol. 2010; 184: 1296-1300