- •Management of antibiotics after pediatric perforated appendicitis is variable.
- •No antibiotics at discharge did not increase abscess rates or readmissions.
- •Multi-institutional studies are needed for optimal management of antibiotics.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Gangrenous appendicitis: no longer complicated.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54: 718-722
- Hospital readmission after management of appendicitis at freestanding children's hospitals: contemporary trends and financial implications.J Pediatr Surg. 2012; 47: 1170-1176
- Single daily dosing ceftriaxone and metronidazole vs standard triple antibiotic regimen for perforated appendicitis in children: a prospective randomized trial.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 981-985
- Early transition to oral antibiotics for treatment of perforated appendicitis in pediatric patients: confirmation of the safety and efficacy of a growing national trend.J Pediatr Surg. 2016; 51: 903-907
- Intravenous versus intravenous/oral antibiotics for perforated appendicitis in pediatric patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Pediatr. 2019; 19: 407
- Pediatric appendicitis and need for antibiotic at time of discharge: Does route of administration matter?.J Pediatr Surg. 2016; 51: 1170-1173
- Home antibiotics at discharge for pediatric complicated appendicitis: friend or foe?.J Am Coll Surg. 2018; 227: 247-254
- Evaluation of white blood cell count at time of discharge is associated with limited oral antibiotic therapy in children with complicated appendicitis.Am J Surg. 2019; 217: 1099-1101
- 2010 American pediatric surgical association outcomes and clinical trials committee. Antibiotics and appendicitis in the pediatric population: an American pediatric surgical association outcomes and clinical trials committee systematic review.J Pediatr Surg. 2010; 45: 2181-2185
- Efficacy of oral antibiotics in children with post-operative abscess from perforated appendicitis.Pediatr Surg Int. 2019; 35: 329-333
- Home intravenous versus oral antibiotics following appendectomy for perforated appendicitis in children: a randomized controlled trial.Pediatr Surg Int. 2018; 34: 1257-1268
- Trial of short-course antimicrobial therapy for intraabdominal infection [published correction appears in N Engl J Med. 2018 Jan 25;:null].N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1996-2005
- Two versus five days of antibiotics after appendectomy for complex acute appendicitis (APPIC): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2018; 19: 263