- •Severe rib fractures require multi-modal pain regimens which can include neuraxial blockades.
- •Chemoprophylaxis has to be held when performing these blockades, placing patients at increase risk for venothrombotic events.
- •The erector spinae plane block is a new blockade that can be safely placed while not holding chemoprophylaxis.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Risk factors that predict mortality in patients with blunt chest wall trauma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Injury. 2012; 43: 8-17
- Rib fracture management.BJA Educ. 2015; 16: 26-32
- Western trauma association critical decisions in trauma: management of rib fractures.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 82: 200-203
- Pain management for blunt thoracic trauma: a joint practice management guideline from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma and Trauma Anesthesiology Society.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016; 81: 936-951
- Correlation of missed doses of enoxaparin with increased incidence of deep vein thrombosis in trauma and general surgery patients.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 365-370
- An update on regional analgesia for rib fractures.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2018; 31: 601-607
- The erector spinae plane block: plane and simple.Anaesthesia. 2017; 72: 434-438
- The erector spinae plane block: a novel analgesic technique in thoracic neuropathic pain.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2016; 41: 621-627
- Regional anesthesia in the patient receiving antithrombotic or thrombolytic therapy: <em>American society of regional anesthesia and pain medicine evidence-based guidelines (fourth edition)</em>. Regional anesthesia & pain medicine.. 2018; 43: 263
- Continuous erector spinae plane block as an effective analgesic option in anticoagulated patients after left ventricular assist device implantation: a case series.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2019; 33: 1063-1067
- Inability to predict subprophylactic anti-factor Xa levels in trauma patients receiving early low-molecular-weight heparin.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2018; 85: 867-872
- The effect of erector spinae plane block on respiratory and analgesic outcomes in multiple rib fractures: a retrospective cohort study.Anaesthesia. 2019; 74: 585-593
- Erector spinae plane block for pain relief in rib fractures.Br J Anaesth. 2017; 118: 474-475
- Successful emergency pain control for posterior rib fractures with ultrasound-guided erector spinae plane block.Am J Emerg Med. 2018; 36: 1391-1396
- Erector spinae plane block may aid weaning from mechanical ventilation in patients with multiple rib fractures: case report of two cases.Indian J Anaesth. 2018; 62: 139-141
- Risk factors for venous thromboembolism.Circulation. 2003; 107 (I-9-I-16)
- Association between interruptions in chemical prophylaxis and VTE formation.Am Surg. 2015; 81: 732-737
- Interrupted pharmocologic thromboprophylaxis increases venous thromboembolism in traumatic brain injury.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2011; 70: 19-26
- Cardiovascular risk factors and venous thromboembolism.Circulation. 2008; 117: 93-102
- Risk of venous thromboembolism associated with peripherally inserted central catheters: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2013; 382: 311-325
- Epidural catheters are associated with an increased risk of venous thromboembolism in trauma.J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2020; 49: 420-425
- Erector spinae plane block: relatively new block on horizon with a wide spectrum of application - a case series.Indian J Anaesth. 2018; 62: 809-813
- The erector spinae plane (ESP) block: a pooled review of 242 cases.J Clin Anesth. 2019; 53: 29-34
- Epidural anesthesia, hypotension, and Changes in intravascular volume.Anesthesiology. 2004; 100: 281-286
- Spontaneous spinal epidural haematoma: etiological considerations.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 1984; 86: 265-270
- Spinal subdural hematoma a review.Surg Neurol. 1983; 20: 133-137
- Pneumothorax following erector spinae plane block.J Clin Anesth. 2019; 52: 17
- Bloqueo en el plano del erector de la columna ecoguiado como causa de bloqueo motor imprevisto.Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2018; 65: 589-592
- Ultrasound-guided erector spinae plane block: indications, complications, and effects on acute and chronic pain based on a single-center experience.Cureus. 2019; 11: e3815
- Pneumothorax after the erector spinae plane block.J Clin Anesth. 2018; 48: 12