- •Video-based education (VBE) is increasingly utilized in medical education.
- •General surgery residents preferentially use VBE to learn the steps of an operation.
- •Residents prefer an open-access, peer-reviewed resource.
- •Publication of VBE modules should take residents' self-perceived needs into account.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The making of a surgeon: 10,000 hours?.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 50: 699-706
- Readiness of US general surgery residents for independent practice.Ann Surg. 2017; 266: 582-594
- Confidence Crisis among general surgery residents: a systematic review and qualitative discourse analysis.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 1166-1175
- The impact of E-learning in medical education.Acad Med. 2006; 81: 207-212
- Surgical videos online: a survey of prominent sources and future trends.Med Ref Serv Q. 2010; 29: 10-27
- The modern practice of adult education: from pedagogy to andragogy.2nd ed. Cambridge Books, New York, NY1980
- Developing and refining a surgical curriculum.Surgery. 2020; 167: 528-531
- Journal of Medical Insight.https://jomi.com/Date accessed: April 2, 2020
ACS Video Library. American College of Surgeons. https://www.facs.org/education/division-of-education/publications/videolibrary. Accessed April 2, 2020.
- SAGES TV: Home Of SAGES Surgical Videos. SAGES.https://sages.org/video/Date accessed: April 2, 2020
- Is video-based education an effective method in surgical education? A systematic review.J Surg Educ. 2018; 75: 1150-1158
- A high-definition video teaching module for thyroidectomy surgery.J Surg Educ. 2018; 75: 481-488
ACS/APDS Surgery Resident Skills Curriculum. American College of Surgeons. https://www.facs.org/education/program/resident-skills. Accessed April 2, 2020.
- Laparoscopy training in surgical education: the utility of incorporating a structured preclinical laparoscopy course into the traditional apprenticeship method.J Surg Educ. 2013; 70: 596-605
- LAP-VEGaS practice guidelines for reporting of educational videos in laparoscopic surgery: a joint trainers and trainees consensus statement.Ann Surg. 2018; 268: 920-926
- The Internet School of Medicine: use of electronic resources by medical trainees and the reliability of those resources.J Surg Educ. 2015; 72: 316-320
- Evaluation of the reliability, utility, and quality of the information in sleeve gastrectomy videos shared on open access video sharing platform YouTube.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 1477-1484
- Applying a novel cost-evaluation framework to assess video-based neurosurgery education.Am J Surg. 2020; 220: 604-609
This was prepared as part of the Association for Surgical Education (ASE) Surgical Education Research Fellowship (SERF) program.