- •Decisions to transfuse head injured patients for patients with known or suspected home aspirin use can be guided by platelet reactivity testing to ascertain platelet function.
- •Seventy percent of patients with known or suspected home aspirin use were considered inhibited on the initial platelet reactivity test, and 88% of these patients had confirmation of home aspirin medication in the medical record.
- •Thirty percent of patients were spared platelet transfusion based on platelet reactivity test values that demonstrated a lack of platelet inhibition.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trials.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1849-1860
- Incidence and predictors of intracranial hemorrhage after minor head trauma in patients taking anticoagulant and antiplatelet medication.J Trauma. 2011; 70: E1-E5
- Intracranial complications of preinjury anticoagulation in trauma patients with head injury.J Trauma. 2002; 53: 668-672
- The impact of preinjury anticoagulants and prescription antiplatelet agents on outcomes in older patients with traumatic brain injury.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 76: 431-436
- Guideline for reversal of antithrombotics in intracranial hemorrhage: a statement for healthcare professionals from the neurocritical care society and society of critical care medicine.Neurocrit Care. 2016; 24: 6-46
- 2012 update to the Society of Thoracic Surgeons guideline on use of antiplatelet drugs in patients having cardiac and noncardiac operations.Ann Thorac Surg. 2012; 94: 1761-1781
- The European guideline on management of major bleeding and coagulopathy following trauma: fifth edition.Crit Care. 2019; 23: 98
- Assessment of three point-of-care platelet function assays in adult trauma patients.J Surg Res. 2017; 212: 260-269
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of traumatic intracranial hemorrhage in patients taking prehospital antiplatelet therapy: is there a role for platelet transfusions?.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 88: 847-854
- Not all head injured patients on antiplatelet drugs need platelets: integrating platelet reactivity testing into platelet transfusion guidelines.Injury. 2019; 50: 73-78
- Progression of traumatic intracerebral hemorrhage: a prospective observational study.J Neurotrauma. 2008; 25: 629-639
- Progressive hemorrhage after head trauma: predictors and consequences of the evolving injury.J Neurosurg. 2002; 96: 109-116
- Utility of platelet transfusion in adult patients with traumatic intracranial hemorrhage and preinjury antiplatelet use: a systematic review.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 72: 1658-1663
- Emergency reversal of anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapies in neurosurgical patients.J Neurosurg. 2010; 112: 307-318
- The role of anticoagulants, antiplatelet agents, and their reversal strategies in the management of intracerebral hemorrhage.Neurosurg Focus. 2013; 34: E6
- Platelet transfusion: a clinical practice guideline from the AABB.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 205-213
- Assessment of platelet transfusion for reversal of aspirin after traumatic brain injury.Surgery. 2011; 150: 836-843
- Factors associated with appropriate knowledge of the indications for prescribed drugs among community-dwelling older patients with polypharmacy.Age Ageing. 2016; 45: 402-408
- The inability of older adults to recall their drugs and medical conditions.Drugs Aging. 2015; 32: 329-336
- Trends in prescription drug use among adults in the United States from 1999-2012.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1818-1831
- Medication complexity, medication number, and their relationships to medication discrepancies.Ann Pharmacother. 2016; 50: 534-540
- Prevalence and risk factors for medication reconciliation errors during hospital admission in elderly patients.Int J Clin Pharm. 2016; 38: 1164-1171
- Platelet transfusion does not improve outcomes in patients with brain injury on antiplatelet therapy.Brain Inj. 2018; 32: 325-330
- Efficacy of platelet transfusion for acute intracerebral hemorrhage among patients on antiplatelet therapy.CJEM. 2018; 20: S78-S81
- Efficacy of platelet transfusion in the management of acute subdural hematoma.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2018; 174: 163-166
- Current state of transfusion in traumatic brain injury and associated coagulopathy.Transfusion. 2019; 59: 1522-1528
- Assessment and management of coagulopathy in neurocritical care.J Neurocrit Care. 2019; 12: 9-19
- Aspirin resistance: cardiovascular risk game changer.Am J Ther. 2018;
- Aspirin resistance: an evaluation of current evidence and measurement methods.Pharmacotherapy. 2005; 25: 942-953
- Aspirin resistance: disparities and clinical implications.Pharmacotherapy. 2008; 28: 999-1018
- VerifyNow® System Reference Guide.Accriva Diagnostics, San Diego, CA2015
- VerifyNow (R) Reference Guide.Accriva Diagnostics, San Diego, CA2016
- Accumetrics VerifyNow-aspirin assay: 501(k) summary.(Available at:)https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf4/K042423.pdfDate accessed: April 30, 2019
- Emergency reversal of antiplatelet agents in patients presenting with an intracranial hemorrhage: a clinical review.World Neurosurg. 2010; 74: 279-285
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Financial Support: No financial support.
Meetings: An earlier version of this manuscript was presented by Dr. Eastman as a poster at the American College of Clinical Pharmacy Global Conference on Clinical Pharmacy, Seattle, WA, October 2018.