Spinal Cord ischemia-reperfusion injury (SCII) is one of the most destructive complications in thoracic-abdominal aortic surgery, which can cause physical abnormalities, paralysis and even brain death. Evidence has shown that perillaldehyde (PAH) can ameliorate rat's cerebra ischemia-reperfusion injury. However, the effect of PAH on SCII remains unknown.
The current study established SCII rat models and oxygen and glucose deprivation/reoxygenation-induced BV2 microglia models to explore whether PAH could alleviate SCII symptoms and to investigate underlying mechanism.
SCII rats underwent severe neurologic motor dysfunction and histopathologic injury compared with the normal rats, which are exhibited by loss of motor neurons and decrease of nissl bodies. Treatment with PAH significantly ameliorated motor dysfunction and neuron damage. PAH downregulated the expression of NLR family pyrin domain containing 3, cleaved/pro caspase-1, interleukin-1β and interleukin-18 in spinal cord tissues of SCII rats. Besides, the contents of oxidative stress-related factors superoxide dismutase, manganese-dependent superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase were significantly increased and malondialdehyde content was decreased after PAH treatment. PAH treatment upregulated the expression of nuclear factor-E2-related factor 2 and heme oxygenase-1 in spinal cord tissues of SCII rats. Our in vitro study confirmed that PAH inhibited microglial activation by activating the nuclear factor-E2-related factor 2/heme oxygenase-1 pathway, exhibited by alleviated inflammation and oxidative stress.
This study elucidates that PAH has the potential value for treating SCII, which provides an experimental basis for clinical trials in the future.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Surgical Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Spinal cord injury in endovascular thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair: prevalence, risk factors and preventive strategies.Int Angiol. 2018; 37: 112-126
- Systemic administration of interleukin-10 attenuates early ischemic response following spinal cord ischemia reperfusion injury in rats.J Surg Res. 2009; 155: 345-356
- Fighting spinal cord complication during surgery for thoracoabdominal aortic disease.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011; 59: 79-90
- Inflammogenesis of Secondary Spinal Cord Injury.Front Cell Neurosci. 2016; 10: 98
- Preservation of motor function after spinal cord ischemia and reperfusion injury through microglial inhibition.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 95: 1647-1653
- Sevoflurane preconditioning ameliorates neuronal deficits by inhibiting microglial MMP-9 expression after spinal cord ischemia/reperfusion in rats.Mol Brain. 2014; 7: 69
- The pathway of let-7a-1/2-3p and HMGB1 mediated dexmedetomidine inhibiting microglia activation in spinal cord ischemia-reperfusion injury mice.J Mol Neurosci. 2019; 69: 106-114
- The role of transcription factor Nrf2 in skin cells metabolism.Arch Dermatol Res. 2015; 307: 385-396
- The emerging role of the Nrf2-Keap1 signaling pathway in cancer.Genes Dev. 2013; 27: 2179-2191
- Nrf2 regulates ROS production by mitochondria and NADPH oxidase.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015; 1850: 794-801
- BRG1 interacts with Nrf2 to selectively mediate HO-1 induction in response to oxidative stress.Mol Cell Biol. 2006; 26: 7942-7952
- Oxidative stress: a concept in redox biology and medicine.Redox Biol. 2015; 4: 180-183
- Assessment of lipid peroxidation by measuring malondialdehyde (MDA) and relatives in biological samples: analytical and biological challenges.Anal Biochem. 2016; 524: 13-30
- NLRP3 inflammasome: a promising target in ischemic stroke.Inflamm Res. 2017; 66: 17-24
- Redox control of NLRP3 inflammasome activation in health and disease.J Leukoc Biol. 2012; 92: 951-958
- ROS-mediated NLRP3 inflammasome activation in brain, heart, kidney, and testis ischemia/reperfusion injury.Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016; 20162183026
- Nrf2/ARE pathway inhibits ROS-induced NLRP3 inflammasome activation in BV2 cells after cerebral ischemia reperfusion.Inflamm Res. 2018; 67: 57-65
- Perillaldehyde inhibits AHR signaling and activates NRF2 antioxidant pathway in human keratinocytes.Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2018; 2018: 1-9
- Perillaldehyde prevents the formations of atherosclerotic plaques through recoupling endothelial nitric oxide synthase.J Cell Biochem. 2018; 119: 10204-10215
- Perillaldehyde, a promising antifungal agent used in food preservation, triggers apoptosis through a metacaspase-dependent pathway in aspergillus flavus.J Agric Food Chem. 2016; 64: 7404-7413
- Perillaldehyde attenuates cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury-triggered overexpression of inflammatory cytokines via modulating Akt/JNK pathway in the rat brain cortex.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014; 454: 65-70
- Curcumin attenuates inflammation, oxidative stress, and ultrastructural damage induced by spinal cord ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016; 25: 1196-1207
- MASCIS evaluation of open field locomotor scores: effects of experience and teamwork on reliability. Multicenter animal spinal cord injury study.J Neurotrauma. 1996; 13: 343-359
- Transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells exerts anti-apoptotic effects in adult rats after spinal cord ischemia-reperfusion injury.Brain Res. 2014; 1561: 1-10
- Inhibition of NLRP3 inflammasome prevents LPS-induced inflammatory hyperalgesia in mice: contribution of NF-κB, Caspase-1/11, ASC, NOX, and NOS isoforms.Inflammation. 2017; 40: 366-386
- Resveratrol alleviates cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats by inhibiting NLRP3 inflammasome activation through Sirt1-dependent autophagy induction.Int Immunopharmacol. 2017; 50: 208-215
- Fragrant unsaturated aldehydes elicit activation of the Keap1/Nrf2 system leading to the upregulation of thioredoxin expression and protection against oxidative stress.Antioxid Redox Signal. 2009; 11: 949-962
- Acetoacetate induces hepatocytes apoptosis by the ROS-mediated MAPKs pathway in ketotic cows.J Cell Physiol. 2017; 232: 3296-3308
- Activation of Nrf2-antioxidant signaling attenuates NFκB-inflammatory response and elicits apoptosis.Biochem Pharmacol. 2008; 76: 1485-1489
- Early upregulation of NLRP3 in the brain of neonatal mice exposed to hypoxia-ischemia: no early neuroprotective effects of NLRP3 deficiency.Neonatology. 2015; 108: 211-219
- NLRP3 activation induces ASC-dependent programmed necrotic cell death, which leads to neutrophilic inflammation.Cell Death Dis. 2013; 4 (e644-e644)
Published online: August 13, 2021
Accepted: June 11, 2021
Received in revised form: May 31, 2021
Received: December 28, 2020
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.