- •33% of all umbilical hernia referrals are potentially avoidable.
- •68% of referrals in children <3 y are potentially avoidable.
- •Rates of avoidable referrals remained unchanged following guideline release.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- FastStats.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/births.htmDate: 2020Date accessed: May 21, 2020
- Incidence of umbilical hernia in African children: redefinition of “normal” and reevaluation of indications for repair.World J Surg. 2001; 25: 645-648
- Umbilical and epigastric hernia repair.Surg Clin North Am. 2003; 83: 1207-1221
- The management of umbilicial hernias in infancy and childhood.J Pediatr Surg. 1975; 10: 405-409
- Repair of umbilical hernias in childhood to prevent adult incarceration.Am Surg. 1971; 37: 245-246
- Incarcerated pediatric hernias.Surg Clin North Am. 2017; 97: 129-145
- Umbilical hernia: what happens after age 5 years?.J Pediatr. 1981; 98: 415-417
- Variation in surgical management of asymptomatic umbilical hernia at freestanding children’s hospitals.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 55: 1324-1329
- AAP SOSu – avoid surgery referral for umbilical hernias until age 4-5. Choosing wisely.(Available at:)https://www.choosingwisely.org/clinician-lists/aap-sosu-avoid-surgery-referral-for-umbilical-hernias-until-age-4-5/Date accessed: October 8, 2020
- Contemporary practice and perceptions surrounding the management of asymptomatic umbilical hernias in children: a survey of the American Pediatric Surgical Association.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 2052-2057
- When should a patient be referred to the pediatric surgeon?.Cir Pediatr. 2012; 25: 177-181
- Inappropriate referrals in pediatric surgery.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 2596-2601
- Age-dependent outcomes in asymptomatic umbilical hernia repair.Pediatr Surg Int. 2019; 35: 463-468
- Association between age and umbilical hernia repair outcomes in children: a multistate population-based cohort study.J Pediatr. 2020; 217: 125-130.e4
- Geographic distance to pediatric surgical care within the continental United States.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54: 1112-1117
- Campaigns against ionizing radiation and changed practice patterns for imaging use in pediatric appendicitis.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 720-721
- A 20-year observational cohort of a 5 million patient population—tonsillectomy rates in the context of two national policy changes.Clin Otolaryngol. 2019; 44: 7-13
- Is Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network guidance for GP management of tonsillitis suitable? A qualitative study.Fam Pract. 2018; 35: 633-637