- •Our series reviewed 33 patients who required VA ECMO support due to cardiogenic shock and had transseptal cannulation for left atrial drainage.
- •LAVA ECMO is an effective modality to treat left ventricular distention.
- •The timing of LAVA ECMO implementation is versatile.
- •It is, however, reasonable to consider that early initiation of LAVA to prevent LV distention and its complications would be advantageous.
- •There is a need for further evaluation of LAVA ECMO as a treatment modality for left heart decompression and direct comparisons of this technique against other methods used for left ventricular decompression.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Indications and complications for VA-ECMO for cardiac failure.(Available at:)https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2015/07/14/09/27/indications-and-complications-for-va-ecmo-for-cardiac-failureDate: 2015
- Left ventricular decompression in veno-arterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2019; 8: 9-18
- ELSO guidelines for adult cardiac failure v1.3.(Available at:)https://www.elso.org/Portals/0/IGD/Archive/FileManager/e76ef78eabcusersshyerdocumentselsoguidelinesforadultcardiacfailure1.3.pdfDate: 2015Date accessed: July 1, 2015
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in cardiopulmonary disease in adults.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2769-2778
- Clinical outcome of mechanical circulatory support for refractory cardiogenic shock in the current era.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2013; 32: 106-111
- Left heart decompression at venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation initiation in cardiogenic shock: prophylactic versus therapeutic strategy.J Thorac Dis. 2019; 11: 3746-3756
- 2015 SCAI/ACC/HFSA/STS clinical expert consensus statement on the use of percutaneous mechanical circulatory support devices in cardiovascular care (endorsed by the American Heart Association, the Cardiological Society of India, and Sociedad Latino Americana de Cardiologia Intervencion; Affirmation of Value by the Canadian Association of Interventional Cardiology-Association Canadienne de Cardiologie d'intervention).Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2015; 85: E175-E196
- Left ventricular venting strategies for patients on venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.J Thorac Dis. 2019; 11: 1676-1683
- Prevention and treatment of pulmonary congestion in patients undergoing venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for cardiogenic shock.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 3753-3761
- Left atrial decompression during venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for left ventricular failure in children: current strategy and clinical outcomes.Artif Organs. 2013; 37: 29-36
- Efficacy of left heart decompression during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: a case-control study.J Thorac Dis. 2019; 11: 865-872