- •Complications due to blood transfusion are rare in pediatric trauma patients.
- •Certain complications are increased among those who receive massive transfusion.
- •Massive transfusion is an independent risk factor for DVT, AKI, CLABSI, and sepsis.
- •There are no differences in rates of complications based on age.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Comparing unbalanced and balanced ratios of blood products in massive transfusion to pediatric trauma patients: effects on mortality and outcomes.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2020; 48: 179-186
- Defining massive transfusion in civilian pediatric trauma.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54: 975-979
- Transfusion therapy in paediatric trauma patients: a review of the literature.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2015; 23: 21
- Resuscitation and transfusion principles for traumatic hemorrhagic shock.Blood Rev. 2009; 23: 231-240
- Damage control resuscitation: directly addressing the early coagulopathy of trauma.J Trauma. 2007; 62: 307-310
- Transfusions result in pulmonary morbidity and death after a moderate degree of injury.J Trauma. 2005; 59: 19-23
- Massive transfusion protocols for pediatric patients: current perspectives.J Blood Med. 2020; 11: 163-172
- Coagulopathy after severe pediatric trauma.Shock. 2014; 41: 476-490
- The developing balance of thrombosis and hemorrhage in pediatric Surgery: clinical implications of age-related changes in hemostasis.Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2020; 261076029620929092
- Baseline values of the compensatory reserve index in a healthy pediatric population.Pediatr Cardiol. 2022; 43: 344-349
- Massive transfusion in pediatric trauma-does more blood predict mortality?.J Pediatr Surg. 2022; 57: 308-313
- Outcomes after massive transfusion in trauma patients: variability among trauma centers.J Surg Res. 2019; 234: 110-115
- Sex dimorphisms in coagulation characteristics in the pediatric trauma population appear after puberty.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2022; 92: 675-682
- Gender impacts mortality after traumatic brain injury in teenagers.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 75: 682-686
- Female sex hormones regulate macrophage function after trauma-hemorrhage and prevent increased death rate from subsequent sepsis.Ann Surg. 2002; 235: 105-112
- Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff: Pediatric Expertise for Advisory Panels.US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, Rockville, MD2003
- Clearly defining pediatric massive transfusion: cutting through the fog and friction with combat data.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 78: 22-28
- The risk factors of venous thromboembolism in massively transfused patients.J Surg Res. 2018; 222: 115-121
- Acute kidney injury following severe trauma: risk factors and long-term outcome.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 79: 407-412
- A high ratio of plasma: RBC improves survival in massively transfused injured children.J Surg Res. 2019; 233: 213-220
- Life-threatening bleeding in children: a prospective observational study.Crit Care Med. 2021; 49: 1943-1954
- The dose-dependent relationship between blood transfusions and infections after trauma: a population-based study.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 89: 51-57
- A clinical tool for the prediction of venous thromboembolism in pediatric trauma patients.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 50-57
- Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis after pediatric trauma.Pediatr Surg Int. 2021; 37: 679-694
- Perioperative transfusions and venous thromboembolism.Pediatrics. 2020; 145e20192351