- •This study evaluates preoperative risk factors that may predict postdischarge opioid prescriptions in colorectal resection patients.
- •Study reviewed 1427 colorectal surgeries from January 2013 to December 2020 linked with state-tracked opioid data.
- •Few studies identify patient inherent risk factors for postdischarge opioid prescribed morphine milligram equivalents following colorectal resections.
- •Enhanced recovery pathway suggested perioperative analgesic procedures are not protective of postoperative discharge needs in colorectal surgery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Drug Overdose | U.S. Opioid dispensing rate maps.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/rxrate-maps/index.htmlDate: 2021Date accessed: November 16, 2021
- Opioid Summaries by State.(Available at:)https://www.drugabuse.gov/drug-topics/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-stateDate: 2020Date accessed: November 16, 2021
- Opioid use among patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 19: 895-907.e4
- Frequency of opioid prescription at emergency department discharge in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a nationwide analysis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 19: 2064-2071.e1
- Opioid use as a potential risk factor for pancreatic cancer in the United States: an analysis of state and national level databases.PLoS One. 2021; 16: e0244285
- Prevalence of opioid use disorder among patients with cancer-related pain: a systematic review.J Clin Med. 2022; 11: 1594
- New persistent opioid use among patients with cancer after curative-intent surgery.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 4042-4049
- Opioid prescribing practices and medication use following urogynecological surgery.Neurourol Urodyn. 2019; 38: 363-368
- Opioid use and storage patterns by patients after hospital discharge following surgery.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0147972
- Opioid prescribing recommendations for surgery.(Available at:)https://michigan-open.org/prescribing-recommendations/Date: 2019Date accessed: August 14, 2021
- Prescription drug monitoring program training and technical assistance center. History of prescription drug monitoring programs.(Available at:)https://pdmpassist.org/pdf/PDMP_admin/TAG_History_PDMPs_final_20180314.pdfDate: 2018Date accessed: August 14, 2021
- Prescription drug monitoring program utilization in Kentucky community pharmacies.Pharm Pract (Granada). 2015; 13: 540
- Post-discharge opioid prescribing patterns and risk factors in patients undergoing elective colon and rectal surgery without complications.J Gastrointest Surg. 2019; 23: 1022-1029
- Impact of enhanced recovery after surgery and opioid-free anesthesia on opioid prescriptions at discharge from the hospital: a historical-prospective study.Anesth Analg. 2017; 125: 1784-1792
- Opioid prescribing patterns after anorectal surgery.J Surg Res. 2020; 255: 632-640
- An unintended consequence of a new opioid legislation.Dis Colon Rectum. 2020; 63: 389-396
- Opioid prescribing patterns after colorectal surgery (CRS) at a large safety-net hospital: are we contributing to the opioid epidemic?.J Am Coll Surg. 2020; 231: e104
- Development and initial validation of the risk analysis index for measuring frailty in surgical populations.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 175-182
- Association of a frailty screening initiative with postoperative survival at 30, 180, and 365 days.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 233-240
- Patient and in-hospital predictors of post-discharge opioid utilization: individualizing prescribing after radical prostatectomy based on the ORIOLES initiative.Urol Oncol. 2022; 40: 104.e9-104.e15
- New persistent opioid use after minor and major surgical procedures in US adults.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: e170504
- Persistent post-discharge opioid prescribing after traumatic brain injury requiring intensive care unit admission: a cross-sectional study with longitudinal outcome.PLoS One. 2019; 14: e0225787
- The association between preoperative opioid exposure and prolonged postoperative use.Ann Surg. 2021; 274: e410-e416
- Reduction in opioid prescribing through evidence-based prescribing guidelines.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 285-287
- Development of a practice guideline for discharge opioid prescribing after major colorectal surgery.Dis Colon Rectum. 2021; 64: 1120-1128
- Postoperative multimodal analgesia pain management with nonopioid analgesics and techniques: a review.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 691-697
- Epidural analgesia in laparoscopic colorectal surgery: a nationwide analysis of use and outcomes.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 130-136
- Subcutaneous analgesic system versus epidural for post-operative pain control in surgical pediatric oncology patients.J Pediatr Surg. 2021; 56: 104-109