- •Impact of surgical ICU modeling on trauma surgical patient outcomes.
- •Compared to an open model, a closed-collaborative SICU model provides.
- oEquivalent care (mortality and complications) despite having sicker patients.
- oSignificant reduction in ICU LOS in the sickest cohort of patients (ISS ≥15).
- oNonstatistically significant reduction in ICU charges in the sickest cohort of patients (ISS ≥15).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Mortality rate and other clinical features observed in Open vs closed format intensive care units: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98: e16261
- A “closed” medical intensive care unit (MICU) improves resource utilization when compared with an “open” MICU.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998; 157: 1468-1473
- Effects of organizational change in the medical intensive care unit of a teaching hospital: a comparison of ‘open’ and ‘closed’ formats.JAMA. 1996; 276: 322-328
- Team model: advocating for the optimal method of care delivery in the intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: S12-S17
- The impact of closed ICU model on mortality in general surgical intensive care unit.J Med Assoc Thai. 2009; 92: 1627-1634
- The impact of an intensivist-model ICU on trauma-related mortality.Ann Surg. 2006; 244: 545-554
- Who is afraid of non-normal data? Choosing between parametric and non-parametric tests.Eur J Endocrinol. 2020; 182: E1-E3
- Hospital length of stay after admission for traumatic injury in Canada: a multicenter cohort study.Ann Surg. 2014; 260: 179-187
- Patient demographics, insurance status, race, and ethnicity as predictors of morbidity and mortality after spine trauma: a study using the National Trauma Data Bank.Spine J. 2013; 13: 1766-1773
- Resource use in the ICU: short- vs. long-term patients.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2003; 47: 508-515
- Traumatic injury in the United States: in-patient epidemiology 2000-2011.Injury. 2016; 47: 1393-1403
- The impact of intensivists' base specialty of training on care process and outcomes of critically ill trauma patients.J Surg Res. 2013; 184: 577-581
B. K. LaFerney, H. Jensen, R. Reif, J. Bennett, M. K. Kimbrough. Closed surgical intensive care unit organization improves cardiothoracic surgical patient outcomes. Conference abstract, presented at the Academic Surgical Congress on February 6, 2020, by Brianna LaFerney, abstract number ASC20201707.