- •Many surgical pathologies display seasonal patterns relevant for surgeon workflow.
- •Emergent admissions demonstrate more prominent seasonality than elective ones.
- •The volume of inpatient surgical procedures decreases at the end of the calendar year.
- •Acute intra-abdominal conditions and traumas peak in summer months.
- •Peaks in elective cases may be related to insurance deductibles.
Seasonality has been studied in select conditions treated by surgeons and internists, but is not well understood regarding overall procedural volume in general surgery. Furthermore, much of the literature is limited due to lack of use of seasonal-trend–decomposition analyses.
All admissions with general surgery procedures were pooled from NIS 2002-2014, monthly hospitalization rates calculated, and seasonal-trend decomposition performed.
Emergent admissions, accounting for 9% of the average annual incidence, had more prominent seasonality than elective admissions. Inpatient surgical-procedural volume remained relatively stable throughout the year and decreased only in the third quarter. Procedures for acute intra-abdominal conditions and traumas peaked in summer months, while endoscopies, tracheostomies and gastrostomies peaked in winter months.
Many surgical pathologies and corresponding general-surgery procedures obey circannual patterns. Surgical workforce remains in high demand throughout the year except for fall and winter holidays. Understanding seasonal variation in such demand may be important for staffing and resource planning.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Surgical Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- I. The relation of the weather to fatality following surgical operations.Ann Surg. 1896; 23: 369-377
- The epidemiology of acute appendicitis in California: racial, gender, and seasonal variation.Epidemiology. 1991; 2: 323-330
- Simplicity within complexity: seasonality and predictability of hospital admissions in the province of Ontario 1988-2001, a population-based analysis.BMC Health Serv Res. 2005; 5: 13
- Seasonal variation in the onset of acute pancreatitis.World J Gastroenterol. 2004; 10: 3328-3331
- Seasonal variation in onset of acute appendicitis.Clin Ter. 2006; 157: 123-127
- Seasonal variation in emergency general surgery.Ann Surg. 2016; 263: 76-81
- Seasonal variation in emergency referrals to a surgical assessment unit.Int J Clin Pract. 2009; 63: 121-125
- Healthcare Cost and utilization Project (HCUP), Rockville, MD: agency for healthcare research and quality.(Available at:)www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/8documentation.jspDate accessed: June 11, 2022
- Healthcare Cost and utilization Project (HCUP), Rockville, MD: agency for healthcare research and quality.(Available at:)https://hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/NIS_Introduction_2010.jsp-dwDate accessed: June 11, 2022
- Healthcare Cost and utilization Project (HCUP), Rockville, MD: agency for healthcare research and quality.(Available at:)www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/ccs/ccsfactsheet.jspDate accessed: June 11, 2022
- Colonoscopy utilization in rural areas by general surgeons: an analysis of the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey.Am J Surg. 2019; 218: 281-287
- Seasonal variation in emergency general surgery: why is February underrepresented.Ann Surg. 2017; 266: e74-e75
- Population and housing unit estimates datasets.(Available at:)https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/popest/data/data-sets.htmlDate accessed: June 11, 2022
- Monthly variation in acute appendicitis incidence: a 10-year nationwide population-based study.J Surg Res. 2012; 178: 670-676
- Time series decomposition. Forecasting: principles and practice.(Available at:)https://otexts.org/fpp2/decomposition.htmlDate: 2018Date accessed: December 1, 2022
- Seasonal adjustment by X-13ARIMA-SEATS in R.J Stat Software. 2018; 87: 1-7
- Trends in hospital inpatient stays in the United States, 2005–2014. HCUP statistical brief #225.(Available at:)https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/17s/sb225-Inpatient-US-StaysTrends.pdfDate: 2017Date accessed: December 1, 2022
- Seasonality in trauma admissions - are daylight and weather variables better predictors than general cyclic effects?.PLoS One. 2018; 13: e0192568
- The effect of season and weather on orthopaedic trauma: consult volume is significantly correlated with daily weather.Adv Orthop. 2018; 2018: 6057357
- Excess mortality in winter in Finnish intensive care.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2006; 50: 706-711
- Winter excess mortality in intensive care in the UK: an analysis of outcome adjusted for patient case mix and unit workload.Intensive Care Med. 2004; 30: 1900-1907
- Effects of seasonal variations on acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding and its etiology.Turk J Gastroenterol. 2007; 18: 172-176
- Seasonal fluctuations in acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding: lack of effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.Am J Gastroenterol. 1992; 87: 1587-1590
- A seasonal variation in the onset of postoperative adhesive small bowel obstruction is related to changes in the climate.Dig Liver Dis. 2004; 36: 125-129
- Cardiac mortality is higher around Christmas and New Year's than at any other time: the holidays as a risk factor for death.Circulation. 2004; 110: 3781-3788
- Revisiting the “christmas holiday effect” in the southern hemisphere.J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; 5: e005098
- The role of commercial health insurance characteristics in bariatric surgery utilization.Ann Surg. 2021; 273: 1150-1156
- A contemporary reassessment of the US surgical workforce through 2050 predicts continued shortages and increased productivity demands.Am J Surg. 2021; 223: 28-35
- 2019 update - the complexities of physician supply and demand: projections from 2017 to 2032.(Available at:)https://aamc-black.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/31/13/3113ee5c-a038-4c16-89af-294a69826650/2019_update_-_the_complexities_of_physician_supply_and_demand_-_projections_from_2017-2032.pdfDate: 2019Date accessed: December 1, 2022
- 2019 ACS Governors Survey: surgeons wanted: workforce challenges in health care.(Available at:)https://bulletin.facs.org/2020/07/2019-acs-governors-survey-surgeons-wanted-workforce-challenges-in-health-care/Date: 2020Date accessed: December 1, 2022
- Impact of protocol utilizing water-soluble contrast for adhesive small bowel obstruction.J Surg Res. 2021; 259: 487-492
- Trends in outpatient versus inpatient total shoulder arthroplasty over time.JSES Int. 2021; 6: 7-14
- Trends for in- and outpatient thyroid cancer surgery in older adults in New York State, 2007-2017.J Surg Res. 2022; 273: 64-70
- Surgeries in hospital-based ambulatory surgery and hospital inpatient settings.(Available at:)www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/17s/sb223-Ambulatory-Inpatient-Surgeries-2014.pdfDate: 2014Date accessed: December 1, 2022
- Healthcare Cost and utilization Project (HCUP).(Available at:)https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/reports/NIS_2012_Redesign_report.jspDate: 2022Date accessed: December 1, 2022
Published online: March 20, 2023
Accepted: February 18, 2023
Received in revised form: January 19, 2023
Received: October 2, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.