- Activation of sympathetic nervous system has a crucial role in mediating the pneumatic tourniquet inflation induced hyperdynamic response. Dexmedetomidine, a selective α2-adrenergic receptor agonist, has potent sympatholytic effects. We conducted this prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded study to elucidate the effects of dexmedetomidine on attenuating the tourniquet-induced hyperdynamic response during general anesthesia.
- Lower limb ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) elicits oxidative stress and causes inflammation in lung tissues that may lead to lung injury. Magnesium sulfate (MgSO4) possesses potent anti-oxidation and anti-inflammation capacity. We sought to elucidate whether MgSO4 could mitigate I/R-induced lung injury. As MgSO4 is an L-type calcium channel inhibitor, the role of the L-type calcium channels was elucidated.
- Lower limb ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) imposes oxidative stress, elicits inflammatory response, and subsequently induces acute lung injury. Ischemic preconditioning (IP), a process of transient I/R, mitigates the acute lung injury induced by I/R. We sought to elucidate whether the protective effects of IP involve heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1).
- Oxidative stress and inflammatory response are crucial in mediating the development of acute lung injury induced by bilateral lower limb ischemia-reperfusion (I/R). Platonin, a potent antioxidant, possesses anti-inflammation capacity. We sought to elucidate whether platonin could mitigate acute lung injury induced by lower limb I/R.
- We sought to elucidate the effects of naloxone on regulating the up-regulation of inflammatory molecules and activation of the transcription factor nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-κB) induced by endotoxin. Possible roles of the μ-opioid receptors and L-type calcium channels in mediating the effects of naloxone in this regard were also investigated.
- Pulmonary inflammatory response is crucial in mediating the development of ventilator-induced lung injury (VILI) in animals experiencing endotoxemia. Dexmedetomidine and ketamine are two sedative agents with potent anti-inflammatory capacity. We sought to elucidate the anti-inflammatory effects of dexmedetomidine-ketamine combination against VILI in endotoxemia rats.
- We previously have shown that platonin, a potent antioxidant, significantly attenuated inflammatory molecules up-regulation in RAW264.7 cells, a murine macrophage-like cell line. Inflammatory molecules expression is under the regulation of activator protein-1 (AP-1), a crucial transcription factor and a heterodimeric protein that composes of proteins from c-Jun and c-Fos families. AP-1 expression is regulated by mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs). We sought to elucidate the effects of platonin on MAPKs and AP-1 up-regulation in activated RAW264.7 cells.